Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day 14...The Metal Fan

The Metal Fan...   
I was at Walmart last week, picking up a few things I thought we needed before Paige came to visit. The extra bedroom/sewing room seems to be a little warmer than the rest of the apartment, so I was looking for a fan to help with cooling.  Right there before my eyes was a lovely metal fan. Right away memories from my childhood came rushing back.

We grew up in Michigan.  Our Dad's family lived in Arkansas.  We visited there in June, after school was out.  By then it was hot summertime in Arkansas. My sister and I shared a bed at our grannies, a big old feather bed. We slept in light cotton, shorty pajama's...in a dark room shared with our parents. I remember thinking how old and musty everything smelled...how hot we were. I can still hear  the sound of the old metal fan...blowing warm air on us.

The fan is in our spare room..I find myself turning it on just to hear it run.  Ahhh summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment